DustInFinland

Dustin is in Finland. Here's what's up. I hope you like the blog's funky-fresh new look!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Blah...

I'm feeling rather blah today. My cold is slowly trailing off, but still present. I was up late finishing a book and am rather tired. I guess I'll tell you about a few things that have been going on.

I had dinner with my kummi family. They cooked some really good fish with potatoes and some veggies. It is interesting that they do not use any type of dressing for their salads. Everything is kept plain. There's nothing on the mashed potatoes and nothing on the fish. It's all au naturale. Everything was quite good, though. Arja, the mom, plans on cooking a turkey for me on Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, I will be in the Lapland that week, but I'm sure we'll all eat together when I return. That will be nice, since I'll probably be feeling lonely and homesick around that time.

I hate that I'll have to miss A Christmas Carol, and I'm not sure about the TAP party. If it is held on the 16th, when it would normally be held, I won't be able to make it, as I'll arrive late that night in Raleigh. Good TAP news -- Cary Parks & Recreation is TAP's new sponsor. That should really help with publicity and getting more well known in the community. Awesome!

I know several of you are going to see The Lion King at Memorial soon. Please all send me e-mails and let me know what you thought--especially those of you who haven't seen it before. Those of you who have seen it, I'd like to hear about the differences between the NYC production and the tour.

Food comes in very small portions in stores here. Everyone goes to the market twice a week or so, not once or twice a month in big trips like many Americans. Milk is in liters, for example. I go through about 3 or 4 in a week! Everything is intended to be eaten immediately and in one sitting, usually. My favorite new food is strawberry yogurt with fruity mysli (musli in German, a granola-type cereal). You mix it into the yogurt and it's quite yummy.

I bought a candle at Prisma, but forgot to buy matches. Interestingly, you have to be 18 to buy matches or lighters here. They assume that it's for smoking so they won't sell it to minors.

Back to class on Monday. No class on Friday, luckily. I have to do my laundry tomorrow (Sunday). I wanted to do it yesterday, but you have to sign up for a time and wait, wait, wait. It's very annoying as our laundry room (3 washers, 2 dryers) is used by 3 or four buildings of people, each with 8 floors of rooms. Aaaaaahhhhhh!

All is well. I shall post again when something interesting happens. Kisses to all.

d

1 Comments:

Blogger Annie Lane said...

Hope you're doing well there! It must be awesome.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 4:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home