DustInFinland

Dustin is in Finland. Here's what's up. I hope you like the blog's funky-fresh new look!

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Come together...

Holiday, celebration,
Come together in every nation.

-
Madonna

I went to a terrific party last night hosted by my friend German friend Kerstin. It was organized to bring together all of the students of the Finnish intensive language course in August from all over Europe. I was the only person invited not from this group. I was the only native English speaker, not to mention the only American.

The group welcomed me with open arms (about half of them I already knew). There were about a dozen languages being tossed around in a very crowded apartment. I spoke a good deal of French and helped others with their English. Fabio spent all afternoon baking a pizza and a lasagna, which we brought with us to the party.

We all brought a gift and received one when Joulupukki (Santa Claus) arrived. Most people got things like candles, water guns, and candy. I, however, magically received a bottle of Russian vodka. It had been brought, apparently, by someone who went on the St. Petersberg/Moscow trip and brought it back with them, as it is genuinely Russian. I was amazed and became instantly popular.

I met a really nice Slovakian guy named Martin who is a huge Stephen King fan and wrote quite a bit himself. I met some interesting French characters (I do mean characters) and there were also people from Germany, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Spain, Lithuania, Portugal, Italy, Hungary, Poland, etc. (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few).

I was home by 5:00am. I was not the last to leave.

Check out the PhotoBucket for some great pictures of the party.

I'm feeling kind of sad about leaving. I'm really getting on a roll with this social activity thing. I'm spending a lot of time with Fabio and his friends, as well as other internationals, and less time with the Americans and kids in my class. It's time to start getting things organized for departure.

I've successfully sold my bike to a Nigerian medical student and am now the proud renter of a bedroom in a house off of Tate St. in Greensboro for the spring! My friend Amy and I intend to get an apartment together in May for the following year, while I go to school and she works.

I'm off to Berlin and Rome on Tuesday. A huge update will be given after I return on Monday, Dec. 11.

All for now.

d

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home