DustInFinland

Dustin is in Finland. Here's what's up. I hope you like the blog's funky-fresh new look!

Monday, December 04, 2006

'74-'75

Got no reason for coming to me and the rain running down.
There's no reason.
And the same voice coming to me like it's all slowin down.
And believe me -

I was the one who let you know
I was your sorry-ever-after. '74-'75.

It's not easy, nothing to say 'cause it's already said.
It's never easy.
When I look on in your eyes then I find that I'll do fine.
When I look on in your eyes then I'll do better.

I was the one who let you know
I was your sorry-ever-after. '74-'75.
Giving me more and I'll defy
'Cause you're really only after '74-'75.

Got no reason for coming to me and the rain running down.
There's no reason.
When I look on in your eyes then I find that I'll do fine.
When I look on in your eyes then I'll do better.

I was the one who let you know
I was your sorry-ever-after. '74-'75.
Giving me more and I'll defy
'Cause you're really only after '74-'75.

I was the one who let you know
I was your sorry-ever-after. '74-'75.
Giving me more and I'll defy
'Cause you're really only after '74-'75.

'74-'75,
'74-'75,
'74-'75.

- The Connells

I have been conducting a special anthropological study for the past week.

I was at a party at the apartment of my German friend Fabian and Czech friend Roman. A group of us got together to eat potato pancakes and cake and rink Glögi and red wine. A mix of random music on Fabian's computer was playing throughout the evening.

We began discussing guitar players, for some strange reason, and I mentioned that my brother-in-law David plays bass. This was met with minimal excitement until, that is, I casually asked Fabian, "Have you heard of the Connells?"

"No. What was a song of theirs?"

"Did you ever hear of the song '74-'75?"

"Of course! I love that song," he replied.

I was pleased and surprised. Let's ask the others.

"Have you all heard of the Connells?"

They didn't seem to think so.

"'74-'75?"

Puzzled looks.

I began to sing:
I was the one who let you know
I was your sorry-ever-after...

And 7 Europeans (2 Czech, 3 French, 1 German, and 1 Slovanian) began to sing with me:

"'74-'75"

They all knew it. Half of them knew the words. The others just knew the chorus. They told me that they all love it and heard it on the radio in their respective countries about once a month. They also play it at 80's music parties.

I then decided to take my question to the next level. I had been making the mistake all semester of asking people if they'd heard of the Connells or mentioning the song specifically. What I needed to do, however, was sing the damn song!

My roommate knows it. He's Italian.
His friends know it. They're from everywhere.
His girlfriend knows it. She's Hungarian.
Her friends know it. They're from everywhere.

Almost every person at a huge international party I attended (see the previous post) knew it! I met a German guy at the party who plays bass and can actually play the song!!!

The Americans, however, do not know it.

Strange how life works, isn't it.

A special hug and kiss to my sister Natalie and her very talented (and popular!) husband David, both of whom I've been missing very much and cannot wait to see.

All for now.

d

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home