DustInFinland

Dustin is in Finland. Here's what's up. I hope you like the blog's funky-fresh new look!

Sunday, November 05, 2006

When I Think of Home...

When I think of home,
I think of a place,
Where there's love overflowing,
I wish I was home,
I wish I was back there,
With the things I been knowing.

-The Wiz

Current Temperature:

-15 (C)
5 (F)


I'm waxing nostalgic today. I have been a lot lately. I'm not depressed, just wishing I could be home, if just for a moment.


Fabio is currently cleaning the kitchen floor. Once that has been completed, it will be my arduous talk to clean the bathroom (you can't even imagine!) (Well, maybe ONE of you can, and she knows who she is!)



I listened to Burl Ives sing "Holly Jolly Christmas" today and almost broke down I missed home so much. I'm actually having some trouble listening to a lot of Christmas music yet because it makes me think of home so much.

I've been watching The Muppet Show quite a bit and reading Interview with the Vampire. I went over to a friend's house last night for coffee and music. I slept on the couch there last night and returned to Linnanmaa this morning to get right back into bed for a few hours.

I called Aunt Lori at Westglen Drive the other day. She's pet-sitting for Mom and Dad while they're away in the mountains for the weekend. Lucky!

The snow is still here. It has reached as low as -2 degrees Fahrenheit so far. I'm told it will only get worse--much worse. It may snow again tomorrow, or so I've heard. I've got to start working on my Winter Art paper this week. Ugh. I'm kind of glad I'm missing most of the election madness (save what I hear on NPR).

They finally have Google Earth for Mac! I would recommend that everyone download Google Earth for their computers (it's free and easy). It gives you the ability to view a satellite photograph of anywhere on Earth. Densely populated areas have better picture clarity, but you could easily punch in YOUR address and then type in 'Oulu, Finland' and the satellite will zoom across the globe and land at my current location.

I guess I really don't have much to say right now. I'm currently eating frozen pizza and listening to NPR's Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me. I found out yesterday that David Sedaris will be giving a reading at the War Memorial Auditorium in Greensboro, NC on April 5th!!!

I have a bus pass now, which saves me a lot of money. I just wave the little card in front of a scanner on the bus and they let me on. It gives me unlimited access for 30 days. I got some cute Halloween pictures from Nicole today. McKenzie is such a princess! (She looks just like her uncle Dustin)

My French friend Laura came over tonight and I reviewed and corrected the English in her Medieval Finland paper. You know, considering that her English is about as good as my French, it wasn't half bad. In order for the two of us to communicate effectively we have to use both languages. If she doesn't know a word in English, maybe I know the French, and vice-versa. It usually works pretty well and when it doesn't, she whips out the gigantic French-English-French dictionary she carries everywhere. It's the size of a family Bible!

Reading Rainbow Update:

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King.

I actually read this on the Oulanka Field School trip, but never got around to logging it in. This is a must-read for any die-hard King fan or aspiring fiction author. It's amazingly insightful, funny, and intriguing. It gives us a glimpse into the early life and career of the King of Terror. The clever jacket cover suggests a basement filled with fears and ideas, all plaguing the mind of this literary god. If you love King or love writing in general, check this one out.








The Mist by Stephen King

I listened to this audiobook on Halloween. It is a one-hour fully-dramatized adaptation of King's famous story from Skeleton Crew, detailing the experiences of a community trapped in a grocery store by a terrifying mist that unleashes all sorts of horrors on the town. It is done in 3-D sound, so it's great on headphones. Check it out if you get the chance. It's actually pretty creepy.








I was told by someone last night that with my glasses and new hair, I look a lot like a young James Spader. (If only!)

Well, Wait, Wait... is over so I guess I have to go clean the bathroom, do my dishes, and sweep my bedroom. FUN! FUN! FUN!

All for now.

d






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home