DustInFinland

Dustin is in Finland. Here's what's up. I hope you like the blog's funky-fresh new look!

Friday, November 10, 2006

Warm...

It is 2:19 am. I began reading a very famous novella by Stephen King, from his collection Different Seasons, at around 10:45pm. The story was called Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption and spawned the now infamous film with a slightly different title. I can honestly say that my foot touched the floor by my bed only once--to pee and get a glass of juice. I promptly returned to my bed and did not move from that spot until moments ago.

What an amazing story. I mean, I knew the story already. I've seen the film a dozen times and they're very close. I knew how it would end, but still I was enthralled through the novella's more than 100 pages. One rarely finds a story that is so uplifting, so calming, so hopeful. This story, the first of the book's four seasons, is subtitled Hope Springs Eternal.

This is not a King that we often see. I believe I've only seen this type of writing from him once before: The Green Mile, the serial novel and his other prison-related dramatic work. Coincidentally, it was also turned into a brilliantly adapted film. This film, like The Shawshank Redemption was adapted and directed by Frank Darabont, who is currently beginning work on King's The Mist.

For anyone looking for a good lift--a story with heart and merit--read this. I sit here with the sub-freezing winds rushing past my window. And I am warmed.

d

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home