DustInFinland

Dustin is in Finland. Here's what's up. I hope you like the blog's funky-fresh new look!

Friday, October 13, 2006

Musiikki...

Kaksipa poikaa,
Kurikasta niin komiasti liikuu,
Kaksipa poikaa,

Kurikasta niin komiasti liikuu;

Punaset oli resoorit ja,
Hopiasta pislaipiippu,

Hei, punaset oli resoorit ja,

Hopiasta pislaipiippu.


-Kaksipa poikaa Kurikasta (Finnish folk song)



This week in Finnish music class, we all learned different instruments and learned to play Kaksipa poikaa Kurikasta. I got to learn to play a harmonium (pictured right). It works a lot like an organ, but has to constantly be pumped by your feet in order to keep air circulating through the pipes. It's not entirely like a piano because it is not a string instrument, it's a wind instrument. I learned to play this song while others sang, played piano, double-bass, kantele, and the electric kantele.





I also learned the kantele, the national instrument of Finland which has been played here for thousands of years. I learned the 5-string, which plays much like a dulcimer, and was able to play the song on this instrument as well. It was really cool.




I might as well let everyone know what's been going on with me lately (as this is the entire point of this blog). I've been very depressed for a little over a week. I've been spending a lot of time alone in my room. I've missed some class and have been avoiding social activity. I know, I know, this is very unlike me. Somthing must be up for me to behave this way, right?

Well, I finally realized that I was slowly falling into a depression. I talked to a few people, including (Dr.) Mom, who told me to get out in the sun, get some exercise, and interact with people.

In accordance with my instructions from various folks, I got the whole crew together last night to go for drinks at Caio and boy did I feel better! We were there for a few hours drinking, eating, and laughing. I was back to my old self, cracking jokes, doing voices, etc. Everything was fine again. Tonight I'm going out dancing with Emily and Antti, so that should put me in an even better mood. I went to my class today and had a blast with the group. I feel 101% better. I just needed to get my ass out the door!

When I first got here, I signed up for the Tandem Student Project, where a Finnish student and an exchange student meet a couple of times each week to teach each other about their culture and language. We are supposed to keep a log book of what we discuss and, at the end of the semester, we get 2 EU class credits for it.

WELL.............They sent an e-mail to me a month ago telling me who my partner was and how to contact her. They did not, however, send this e-mail to the correct address. They left out part of my address and I never got it. A week or two ago, I finally e-mailed them wondering when I would get my partner and they were all "What do you mean? Don't you have one already?" I was all "No." And they were all "OMG!" (that's 'Oh, My God' for you older folks). My supposed partner assumed that she had not partner so she left the program, so I would have to find a new partner. Plus, I would have to get in 53 hours of meeting times by Dec. 16 AND I found out I wouldn't get US credit for it. Well, forget that! So that's done. *Sigh*

Mom is being very nice and is sending me a box of goodies. Peanut butter, Halloween DVDs, Christmas DVDs, Christmas music, cookies, mixed nuts, bath stuff (you know, all the essentials). Today I went and sent a________ to _________ because his __________ is coming up soon. (And that's all I'm gonna say about it!)

That's all for now. More updates later.

Hei hei!

d

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home